Sunday, April 13, 2014

04.13.2014

The First Post.

So here it goes, my first blog post about the people and things I love most in life. I've never claimed to be the best writer, my English and spelling skills are average at best, so cut me a little slack when reading this (especially you, Tyler).  I've always loved fashion and beauty blogs especially those written by regular people just like me.  But what really inspired me to start (at least attempt) my own blog was my best friends and the lovely ladies I work with everyday.

First, let me set the scene.  I have a biology degree and last year I got a job as a client service rep at a chemistry lab. So as you can imagine, fashion isn't top priority for most of my coworkers.  It seems like every few days as I come into work (at 7:59 on the dot) I get stopped by multiple people who will compliment my outfit, ask where something is from, or just give their opinions on how I look.  I've always really appreciated the compliments on my clothes because, to many people's surprise, I always make an effort to look nice or put an outfit together (unless its a Monday morning of course).  The dress code at work is business casual, which poses all sorts of challenges to a girl who heavily relies on leggings and oversize shirts 90% of the time from October to April.

My next inspiration came from my large group of close friends.  I have the pleasure of living with my best friend in the ENTIRE world who basically lets me treat her like a real life Barbie doll.  I also live across the hall from two more of my really close friends.  Let's call them Jeather and Hess for the sake of anonymity, ok?  Good.  If you can put that in perspective that's four separate closets to shop in on a daily basis.  It really doesn't get much better than that.  The best part about my group of friends is that they actually listen to what I have to say about what to wear.  Well uh, usually....they usually listen to what I have to say about what to wear.  It works out well because I have such a wide range of body types to help dress.  This is both challenging and extremely fun.

My last piece of inspiration came this past Saturday.  My dog was LONG overdue for a hair cut (see here), so after dropping her off I headed to the mall to kill some time.  I was in Younker's (who recently increased their black dot discount from 70% to 80% which about brought tears to my eyes)  minding my own business when three employees from the fragrance department stopped me to talk about what I was wearing.  I was really confused because the outfit I had on (see here & here) was merely thrown on in attempt to not be late for Harper's hair appt.  They rattled off questions about where I got my shirt and how I did my hair; also mentioning that my gold earrings went perfectly with the gold on my camel necklace and all the while repeating how "cute" I looked. After I escaped the perfume people, I made it to the clearance rack (i.e. my happy place) with a little pep in my step and a budding idea for a new blog.

So that is a little introduction as to why a Biology major from small-town Iowa would be interested in writing about what she wears, drinks, and the, some may say, questionable make-up/ hair skills that she possesses. Oh, and I also made sure my friends were fully aware that they will be the stars of this blog since I haven't really perfected the mirror selfie- but I'm working on it!

A Thank you to Ms. Kelli Paris for modeling my Saturday Mall/Groomer adventure outfit.
Head band- Forever 21- $2
Shirt- TJ Maxx- $10 (clearance)
Skirt- Forever 21- $10.80
Shoes- Target- 2 for $20
Necklace- Younkers- Black dot sale $6
Purse- DSW- on sale for $15
Earrings- Charlotte Russe- pack of 3 for $5

No comments:

Post a Comment