Wednesday, April 16, 2014

04.16.2014

One Outfit- Three Looks.

With a glass FULL of wine and strawberries on hand, I am ready to write my second post.  After spending a much needed night in with all my friends enjoying a little fondue, I have plenty to blog about, and lots of things to prepare for. 

We can start with one of my favorite things for this spring, a Maxi skirt.  A long skirt is key in spring, especially with the ridiculously unpredictable weather we have been having.  Yeah I'm looking at you, Mother Nature.  Last Saturday I was in a dress sweating my ass off, drinking Skittles margaritas on a patio for 5 hours and woke up Monday morning to snow.  So I figured a happy medium between scarves/boots/parkas and bootie shorts/camis/tiny bikinis that can hardly contain HB's nipples, is a Maxi skirt (or dress).

The next thing I love for spring is a diverse shirt, specifically denim or chambray.  Having shoulders like a NFL linebacker, I have always struggled buying denim or any shirt that doesn't stretch and requires buttoning.  If it isn't a size XL, there is no way in hell it is comfortably fitting around these man shoulders.  Luckily I have the pleasure of living with skinniest girl in town, so anything I put on her looks amazing.

As soon as Kelli got home from school today, I cornered her and told her she wasn't allowed to do anything except model an outfit for me.  Her, being the people pleaser that she is, agreed and let me dress, groom, and boss her around a little bit.  Then again, that's the daily routine when you are the best friend to a control freak like myself.  I digress, back to the modeling.  Since it was finally somewhat nice and sunny outside, we took Harper out to the front of our very modern, upscale apartment building (for those who don't know where we live, I'm being sarcastic) and shot my first OOTD.

The reason I mentioned a maxi skirt and a chambray shirt earlier is because this is the foundation of my OOTD.  I went a little above and beyond with this outfit and decided to see what all I could do with it.  I feel like my friends are always trying to dress for special occasions; whether that is a dinner date, a family event, a concert, or a typical Saturday night. So I decided I would give Kelli three looks from one outfit, so that she can wear it for a variety of occasions.

The first one I put her in is the 'formal version' of a chambray and maxi.  Working in a business casual work place, where people tend to push the boundaries of casual, (you should see what some of these people come in wearing) this is something I could definitely wear on a daily basis.  I paired it with a dressier necklace and felt tucking the shirt into the skirt gave it a cleaner feel.  And since I'm not really a fan of high heels with maxi skirts, I thought some cute ankle booties would help pull it together nicely.


The second version is the more "casual look." But let's be honest, in this house 'casual wear' is yoga pants or no pants.  The turquoise necklace helps dress this down, and simply untucking the shirt gives it a whole new feel.  You could take it a step farther and pair it with sandals or flats instead of booties-variety is the spice of life, right?  This look would be ideal for a lunch date, a weekend shopping trip, running errands (the kind you want to look cute for) and weekly (or daily) happy hours.

The last variation of this look pushes the limits of spring and dips a toe into summer.  Lucky for me Kelli is so tiny, any type of crop top looks good on her.  I have noticed that crop tops, and showing a little stomach, is sadly (for people like me without abs) coming back this spring/summer.  If you are afraid to go hardcore crop top (and rock the under-boob that comes with it), then this is for you as it is  something almost anyone can pull off. 

Where to get this OOTD:
Shirt- Buffalo Exchange (similar to Plato's)- $15
Skirt- Younkers (yellow dot)- $10
Booties- Younkers (yellow dot)- $22
Brown Braided Belt- Free with a shirt- $0
Formal look silver necklace- Borrowed from Jess- $0
Turquoise Camel Necklace- Younkers- $6
Gold and Black Chain Necklace- Forever 21- $13

Total For Three Different Looks- $66

No comments:

Post a Comment